To work with PayPal’s REST API environment, developers need to create a REST API app inside their PayPal developer account.
The purpose of a REST API app is to generate your OAuth 2.0 credentials for the sandbox and live environments.
Developers can create, edit, and manage multiple PayPal apps. In each app, you may select the specific PayPal capabilities you want to offer to your customers.
Every app gets a unique set of live and sandbox API credentials. Let’s see step by step how to build a PayPal app for use with the REST APIs.
Create Sandbox and Live PayPal App
- To access PayPal Developer site, you must have a PayPal business account. If you don’t have an account then first.
- After you create a PayPal account, you can use this account to login to the PayPal Developer site as outlined below.
- You will need to so that you can link it to your PayPal app.
1) Log into Dashboard
- Go to PayPal’s Developer site at https://developer.paypal.com/ and login with your PayPal business account email and password.
4) Get PayPal App Client ID and Secret
- When you create your REST app, PayPal assigns default Sandbox client credentials and Live client credentials to your app.
- You can view each of these by clicking the Sandbox or Live settings toggle in the top right of the app settings page.
- If you don’t want default credentials then you can also generate your own.
- Copy and save the Client ID and Secret for your Sandbox/Live app.
- You may come back here at any time to obtain the values.
5) Other Settings
- You can define your application settings like adding a Return URL and feature options like Invoicing, Login with PayPal, PayPal Here, Payouts, Customer Disputes, Accepting Payments.
- Return URL : The URL to which you redirect buyers from the PayPal website.
- The test return URL can be different from the live return URL.
- Accept Payments : Accept one-time and/or subscription payments from PayPal account holders.
- To configure this option, click Advanced Options.
- For a live app to accept PayPal payments, you must have a PayPal business account.
- Invoicing : Issue invoices for and manage balances and enable custom net payment terms.
- Payouts : Send batch payments to multiple PayPal accounts at once. You can vary the amount by recipient and deliver payments by phone number or email.
- Customer Disputes. Use the Customer Disputes API to list disputes, provide evidence for a dispute, accept claims, show dispute details, and appeal disputes.
- PayPal Here. Process swiped/card-present card transactions.
- To develop a custom PayPal Here app, use the .
- Connect with PayPal. Enable your customers to use their PayPal login for account management on your website or application.
- Transaction Search. Access your PayPal transaction history.
Now that you have created your PayPal app with REST API credentials and necessary features enabled, you are ready to follow any of our other that require a PayPal app for development.
Need Additional Help?
Schedule a live meeting with Drew Angell, PayPal Certified Developer, and get all of your questions or concerns answered.
Featured PayPal Products and Services
PayPal HelpRated 4.90 out of 5$100.00
PayPal for WooCommerceRated 4.79 out of 5FREE!
WooCommerce Multiple PayPal Accounts PluginRated 5.00 out of 5$99.99
Offers for WooCommerceRated 4.82 out of 5$59.99
WordPress PayPal Invoice PluginRated 5.00 out of 5FREE!
PayPal SDK PHPRated 5.00 out of 5FREE!
Offers for WooCommerce – WC Vendors$149.99
PayPal Plus for WooCommerceRated 5.00 out of 5$49.99